Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Turning Soil on Cinco de Mayo

This evening was beautiful weather for working in the garden. It was sunny and breezy, probably in the high seventies, just gorgeous! We came tonight to turn in the bags of organic soil that has some hummus and chicken manure in it to enrich the topsoil there.
















We had originally bought 3 bags for the whole plot, but probably should have had about 25 bags. Once we saw how pitiful one bag looked dumped out on one row, we decided to mix in 3 bags per row, so after working on the first row, we left and went down the road to the old Depot and bought 6 more bags.
















It was hard work. We raked out the fresh topsoil into an even layer and then went around each row, turning the soil, mixing the natural soil with the new. It's supposed to be well mixed so that there isn't just a layer of the nutrient-rich stuff sitting on top of lesser soil.





















The turning of the soil was hard work, and I could really feel my muscles working! By the end, I went down a whole row, turning the soil without stopping, and my back muscles felt like they were about to give out - it was kind of awesome. I'm going to be so strong by the end of this. Kurt and I were talking about how we're going to miss this soil digging, and I said we should section off a corner of the plot that's just dirt so that we can dig it up for fun and exercise!
















Friday my transplants are coming (12 pepper and tomato seedlings), and we're planning on planting them and the home-grown seedlings and direct-seeding the rest of the plants that we haven't started. Saturday we're going to mulch and put up fencing of some sort - to keep out those bun-buns!

Speaking of bunnies, my pup-bunny has discovered a great new napping location - in the dirty laundry basket! She goes in there when Kurt and I aren't on the sofa and she's sleepy at night. Here are two of the cutest views I captured.





































What a cutie!

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures! It is a ton of work, isn't it? And we only did a 4x4 plot! I can't imagine doing all that you have done. And what perfect neat rows you have going! Those pics of your pup-bunny are adorable. Makes my heart ache!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are way better farmers than we are. I'm the worst "gentleman" farmer around.

    Ah, at least I still have that option of a career silk-screening t-shirts... do you know what it's like doing something you hate...FOR NO MONEY?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you guys need to broadcast some seeds!

    ReplyDelete