Saturday, July 21, 2012

Gluten-Free Vegan Oatmeal Craisin Walnut Cookies

Ain't no gluten in here!

The last few months I've been trying to eat gluten free to see if it would help me with some tummy issues I've had for years. It's worked remarkably well, and I feel like a normal person now! My only issue is that my favorite foods are wheat-based (bread, mostly...and pizza). I've found some great substitutes, such as Udi's Bread for sandwiches, or using corn tortillas instead of flour ones, etc, but any store-bought GF cookies are super expensive. Like 6 cookies for $8.00.

So I had a hankering for "a little something sweet" as my grandma used to say, and I decided to check out some recipes online. I didn't have all of the ingredients that many of them listed, so I decided to use a few recipes as a guide and make up my own recipe. I had no clue if they would turn out ok or not, so I made a smallish batch.

Well, they turned out great! Kurt really liked them too. I'm happy with my creation, and hope that if you try this recipe out too, you'll let me know how you like them. I've added a few unusual ingredients that not everyone has in their kitchen. Feel free to omit or replace. I've listed possible replacements in parentheses.

Gluten-Free Vegan Oatmeal Craisin Walnut Cookies

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F, and line a cookie tray with parchment paper.

In large bowl, mix together wet ingredients:
1/3 cup olive oil (or coconut oil might be tasty too!)
3/4 cup coconut sugar (or other sugar)
1/4 cup plain, unsweetened apple sauce
1 tbsp ground flax seeds, soaked in 3 tbsp water (or replace with 1 egg)
1 tbsp chia seeds, plus 1 tbsp water (can omit if you do not have)
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla

In smaller 2nd bowl, stir together dry ingredients:
3/4 cup Bob's Red Mill gluten free flour
1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill gluten free rolled oats, ground up into a flour (I used my blender)
1 tbsp ground flax seeds (can omit if you do not have)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp fine sea salt

Pour dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients. Stir together. Add to the mixture:

1 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill gluten free rolled oats
1/4 cup craisins (or raisins)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (can omit)

If the mixture seems very wet, add a bit more oats or flour. The mixture should be able to be spooned out, but seem too sticky to handle.

Drop large tablespoon-sized cookie dough onto the parchment-lined cookie sheet, leaving about an inch of space between cookies. Bake about 12 minutes. Cookies are done when they are golden brown on the bottom and are a bit springy when you touch the tops. Makes about 20 cookies.

Enjoy! 
We did :)

photo taken by Saba




4 comments:

  1. Looks awesome!! Will have to try sometime. Glad it worked out well and was tasty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both recipes look great! You are a creative cook!! One question: When did Saba learn how to take photos??
    xoxox Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom! Haha! She really was right behind the camera when we took the photo! xoxo

      Delete