Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Open-Faced Artichoke and Tomato Layer Sandwiches!

Back in the good old days of college, I used to get some amazing sandwiches from (believe it or not) the student cafeteria. The sandwich was a huge mess of ingredients squashed between a toasted bagel. If I remember correctly, the filling was oil and vinegar, 3 types of cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion and roasted red pepper. They were tall and you really had to put your elbows into it.

Today I created this sandwich, which kind of reminds me of the cheesy one from college. I call it my "Open-Faced Artichoke and Tomato Layer Sandwich":















I love this sandwich for many reasons. The balsalmic vinegar gives a little sweetness, the marinated artichokes add a bit of a pickled quality, and the avocado is earthy and creamy. You need a good bread or bagel for this sandwich - I used a fresh bagel from my local bagel shop, but you could use a couple of slices of Italian or French bread cut lengthwise too.

Open-Faced Artichoke and Tomato Layer Sandwiches
Serves 2

Ingredients:
2 Bagels (or Italian or French Bread)
4 tsp Olive Oil
4 tsp Balsalmic Vinegar
1 Avocado
2 tsp Lemon Juice (freshly squeezed)
1 Medium Tomato
4 quarters of Marinated Artichoke Hearts
Sea Salt
Black Pepper

Directions:
Slice bagels or Italian/French bread length-wise. Sprinkle each half with 1 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp balsalmic vinegar.

Slice open avocado around the pit and scoop out flesh into a bowl. Smash avocado with a fork to desired texture (I like mine a bit chunky).  Squeeze in the 2 tsp of lemon juice into the mixture, and add salt and pepper to taste. Mix and spread onto each bagel half.

Rinse tomato and cut 4 slices. Cut each tomato slice into half-moons and then arrange on top of the avocado mixture. Sprinkle with pepper.

Cut each marinated avocado quarter into 4 slices, lengthwise. Place on top of each tomato half-moon.

Eat and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hooray!! And the food blogging lifestyle has begun. Looks ridiculously yummy, as long as a thin application of everything is applied.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMOOOO! I LOVE this recipe and will try it this week, if I can!

    ReplyDelete